Autumn's Passed (a sestina)

Walking in the rain, in autumn, cold holds my face
And with a bitter kiss reminds me of why I love
The fall and the smells cause me to reminisce of days
That feel like another life, lived as a child and I remember
Sitting under an old parked bus, but suddenly the memory
Is clarified and verily there I sit in the castle of yesterday.

The most exquisite of all those minutes between now and yesterday,
And the handsome prince, declares his devotion as he holds my face-
And yet that novel idea of true love’s first kiss fades into memory,
And the breath of autumn reminds me that such fairytale love
Is something from a book and not readily, truly remembered
By anyone, who may once have claimed it, these days.

And the setting sun reminds me of the length of autumn’s days-
Sweet, but too often shortened by the thoughts from yesterday.
And for a moment I pause along my route, trying to remember
What it was that so easily took me away from the traumas that I faced-
Was it the magic of childhood, or the power of some divine love,
Reaching out with a warm blanket of fairytale memories?

The darkness of autumn, made into something less than a memory
And more of a story, an enchantment of lighthearted days-
A youth of privilege and humor, mysticism and love.
This childhood was magical, and yet it had no yesterday,
No moment in reality, no name to go with its face-
It is a gentler memory, than the one I dare not remember.

But perhaps this autumn I will allow myself to remember,
Open the door to the little bedroom of my memory,
Painted pink roses dancing on the wall, and a face
With a name to remember for all of my days-
A simple name for my yesterday,
A name that I do not love-

And yet it is love
Which allows me to remember
Heartbreaking yesterdays
And still have memory
Of mystical days
As a princess would usually face.

And in love, healing moves memory
To remember promised days-
Some yesterday, and some left to face.

 

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Poetry and Writings by Megan Dinan

Followers

Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Recent Comments